About Annapolis, MD

Annapolis, Maryland is the state capital and county seat of Anne Arundel County. The city sits on the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the Severn River, about 25 miles south of Baltimore and 30 miles east of Washington, D.C. Annapolis is part of the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area. The 2020 census recorded its population as 40,812, an increase of 6.3% since 2010.

History of Annapolis, MD

Annapolis served as the seat of the Confederation Congress and temporary national capital of the United States in 1783–1784. At that time, General George Washington came before the body convened in the new Maryland State House and resigned his commission as commander of the Continental Army. A month later, the Congress ratified the Treaty of Paris of 1783, ending the American Revolutionary War, with Great Britain recognizing the independence of the United States. The city and state capitol was also the site of the 1786 Annapolis Convention, which issued a call to the states to send delegates for the Constitutional Convention to be held the following year in Philadelphia. Over 220 years later, the Annapolis Peace Conference took place in 2007.

Annapolis is known for being the home of St. John’s College, which was founded in 1696. The United States Naval Academy is also located nearby, and was established in 1845.

Annapolis was little more than a village, but it grew rapidly for most of the 18th century until the American Revolutionary War as a political and administrative capital, a port of entry, and a major center of the Atlantic slave trade. The Maryland Gazette, which became an important weekly journal, was founded there by Jonas Green in 1745; in 1769 a theatre opened; during this period also the commerce was considerable, but it declined rapidly after Baltimore, with its deeper harbor, was made a port of entry in 1780. Water trades such as oyster-packing, boatbuilding and sail making became the city’s chief industries. Annapolis is home to a large number of recreational boats that have largely replaced the seafood industry in the city.