About Glenelg, MD

Glenelg is a small community located in Howard County, Maryland. It is home to Glenelg High School and has a population of just over 3,000 people. The town is a historic place and has been around since the early 1800s.

History of Glenelg, MD

John Dorsey, one of the first settlers in what is now Howard County and a prominent man, gave land to his daughter Sarah Dorsey Howard and her husband Henry Howard in 1735. The property was called Howard’s Resolution and was located in the western part of the county (which is now Glenelg). Ephraim Howard, son of Sara and Henry, built a house on the property in the middle or late 18th century.

Dr. Ephraim Howard (3.XII.1745-6.XII.1788) matriculated at the University of Edinburgh in 1766 and at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands 7 May 1767.

In 1884, an additional section was added to the front of the house. The newer front section was built by General Joseph Tyson, Assistant Postmaster General under President John Tyler. General and Mrs. Tyson called their home “Glenelg” after an old estate in Scotland and “because it spelled the same from either end” — in other words, a palindrome. Although historically not a true manor house, what is today known as “Glenelg Manor” forms the nucleus of a sprawling structure which houses the Glenelg Country School lower school division. Glenelg Country School is located in neighboring Ellicott City.

Discovery Farm was built on land that was patented as “Second Discovery” in 1729. A house was built starting with a kitchen in 1760, and slave quarters were nearby.[9][10] Folly Quarter Road was once one of the “Rolling Roads” that slaves would use to roll hogsheads of tobacco toward Elkridge Landing for sale.

A postal village named Glenelg was put into operation on February 6, 1856. The post office served the community out of Browns General store for 133 years before it was moved into the Ten Oaks shopping center in 1983.