About Sandy Spring, MD
Sandy Spring is a quaint little unincorporated community located in Montgomery County, Maryland.
Sandy Spring’s boundaries are roughly defined as Brooke Road and Dr. Bird Road to the north and west, Ednor Road to the south, and New Hampshire Avenue to the east.
History of Sandy Spring, MD
The Sandy Spring community was founded by Quakers who arrived in the early 18th century in search of land where they could grow tobacco and corn. One of the earliest land owners in the Sandy Spring area was Richard Snowden, who patented (purchased) the 1,000-acre (4 km2) “Snowden’s Manor” in 1715. Snowden gradually enlarged his property with additional land purchases over the next few decades, until it was surveyed at over 9,000 acres (36 km2) as “Snowden’s Manor Enlarged” in 1743.
Major John Bradford was another large landowner in the early days, and he held patents for over 2,000 acres of land in the Sandy Spring area. This included “Charley Forest”, “Charley Forest Enlarged”, “Higham”, and “Discovery.” Bradford sold much of this land eventually, but James Brooke, Snowden’s son-in-law, bought the original Charley forest land as well as other nearby land. By the 1760s, Brooke owned over 22,000 acres of land in the area.
Dalmas Wood, an insurance salesman and auctioneer, started the Sandy Spring Museum in 1980 to preserve the history of Sandy Spring as it was gradually being lost with the death of older residents. Wood wanted a place to preserve antique furniture, farm equipment, photographs, paintings, and documents of the Sandy Spring area. Florence Virginia Barrett Lehman also helped found the museum.
The museum was originally located in the basement of a Sandy Spring National Bank branch in Olney. In October 1986, it moved to Tall Timbers, a four-story Colonial house that had been the home of Gladys Brooke Tumbleson. Tumbleson descended from the Brooke family, for which nearby Brookeville was named. Tumbleson sold the building to the museum for less than market value.